Thursday, August 28, 2008

Canning for Dummies!!


We have had a garden every year since we have owned a house. I have never canned anything but always had good intentions. This year I said to myself...self...we are going to can something...even if it is just 5 jars....!!! So that is what I set out to do. I lovingly asked Ryker and his friends to go and pick all of the tomatoes out of our garden. I called my totally awesome canning mom and asked her for her expertise....well really if she would come and assist. She said yes thank heavens!! She came the next day with her canning attire on, the canning towels, the pots and pans and food slicer thingy and away we went. (she laughed when she saw what my tomato supply was. Jason had to go get more)
I forgot how much I hated to do that as a kid. Take a boiling hot dumb tomato and skin it all the while seeds squirting out of who knows where all the while not being able to open your eyes from pepper juice polluting the air.

End result...12 ...count them 12 whole jars of ok salsa. I like it but Jason thinks we need WAY more peppers. Ryker was the picture taker so it is a little fuzzy. Notice my daily dose of DP right next to me. Love that stuff!!





This next picture is rated PG-13. It was a finding from our garden. This picture was not touched up in any way shape or form. Don't say I didn't warn you.





How do tomatoes even grow that way??? We are sending it in to Jay Leno and David Letterman.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I love gardens, and I can't wait to be able to do one next year!!! I have never canned anything in my life. I always avoided being around when my Mom would can stuff. I would love to learn how now though! Funny how things change I think. =) I'm glad you were able to get the amount that you did. And ok that last picture is to funny!!! LOL It would be funny to see what David Letterman, and Jay Leno have to say about it!

Kari Sweeten said...

That tomato is so funny!! Becky and I are actually canning tomato juice tonight. That's the only thing we know how to can, but we love it!!

Coley Ru said...

You are such a Betty Crocker. Shane's Aunt taught me how to do Strawberry Jam. I took about 10 hours for 18 jars and by the time I bought the jars, pectin, strawberries, sugar, etc. I figured I could have bought smuckers and saved 10 hours. I HATE CANNING! So I admire those who do. I just don't have it in me. What kind of tomatoe plant did that come from? LOL! Love Coley

Amy said...

I have always wanted to can tomato's, but we are always so lazy and then the tomato's go to waste. The only thing we have canned is peach jam. I am hoping next year we get a better garden and then, oh yes, we will get some good tomato's. Hopefully we don't get any pg-13 tomato's like yours :) That is great!