Monday, March 16, 2009

Bloggers Help

Ok I need advice!! My poor Ryker suffers from nightmares. Not just occasionally but probably 3 or 4 times a week. Last night was so bad. He came in our room at 4 am just shaking. I had him lay in bed with me this time. I usually don't but I could tell this one was bad. The dream was haunting him so bad that he thought he was going to throw up. I had to rub his back and try and take his mind off of the dream. He never did go back to sleep. He was even nervous about going to school today thinking that a gunman would come into his school and shoot him. I am so stuck. I don't know what to do anymore. We have tried taking out T.V. almost altogether, we have a regular bedtime and bedtime routine, he says his prayers...I am just running out of ideas. Has anyone out there in blog land had to deal with this before?? I would love to hear what worked for you. Thanks

6 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have no idea what to tell you. Have you mentioned it to his pediatrician?

Cami said...

This is my next step I think.

Just SO said...

Yeah I would call your Pedi. I've had kids that have had nightmares before but not to this extent. I would definitely talk to your dr.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Wight Family said...

Cami! So I saw this headline that I had to read on Jami's blog and man you caught my attention!!

You've done great limiting/eliminating TV time. Our 7 yo had bad nightmares around age 4/5 and she still gets them occasionally. I've learned to not ask what the nightmare was about right then, but maybe the next morning. Reassuring our daughter that everything is okay and she can snuggle mom until I can't move anymore and need her to go back to bed is good. She's had some dreams that I have zero clue where she got those thoughts from. Bad ones.
It is somewhat reassuring that they aren't night terrors (which kiddos don't wake from, and don't remember, but YOU do!!) but still that is terrible. Talking to your pedi is great, but you may have to search further. Dig in and pray girl! I'll pray with you.
Oh, is he growing? Just a random aha/thought. May or may not be relevant or helpful.
~Vicki Weatherston

Unknown said...

Install a night light in his bedroom if they're afraid of the dark and it will cast a reassuring glow. I would tell my kids that the bad dreams only like to come into dark rooms.

Always go straight in to your child if they wake up frightened. Don't wait for them to cry it out, this will always make them more frightened and upset.

Spend time reassuring and calming your child. This will pay in the long term.

You may even like to read a favorite story. Ask them to tell you about the dream. You may be able to help them by inventing a happy ending or explaining why childhood nightmares happen to all children.

You're doing the right thing by screening his TV viewing to make sure they're not watching frightening shows. Even the nightly news can be a worry!

Magic Sprinkles! I took a medicine bottle and put glitter and other things in it and we'd sprinkle it around the bed. I would just tell them that the bad dreams can't get past the magic sprinkles.

Also, maybe you could give him a blessing and bless his room? I had to do that with one of my older kids and it really did help!

Good luck Cami!!!

Stacy

Unknown said...

Oh yeah! And make sure you limit what kind of video games he plays if he does play games)and to not let him play close to bedtime.

I noticed that had a HUGE impact on my kids' dreams!

Again, good luck girlie!

Stace